The original Macclesfield Football Club was founded sometime in the mid 1800’s by the late Col. J W H Thorpe, and in the early days played under rugby rules on a field off Victoria Road called Bowfield Lane. In about the year 1874, Macclesfield adopted the then strictly amateur Association Rules and moved to Rostrons Field near Coare Street. After a few seasons they moved back to Bowfield Lane, which was to be their home for many seasons. At this time there were no leagues or organised competitions, but games were arranged with teams from Stoke, Congleton, Crewe, Leek and Stockport. In these early days a crowd of 200 and receipts of £5 were considered good and the players were all amateurs paying their own travelling expenses.
In September 1891 the club moved from Bowfield Lane to their present home at Moss Rose, despite the critics who objected to the proximity of a public house! They became a limited company in 1895 but within two years were declared bankrupt. An amateur club, Hallifield moved into Moss Rose and joined the Manchester District League, adopting the name Macclesfield in 1902.
Macclesfield Town are called The Silkmen because the area used to be famous for its silk mills. They owe their blue shirts to an early benefactor who donated the team genuine silk shirts from the leftovers of an unsold lot of textile.
There has always been a lion in the crest of Macclesfield Town, holding a wheat sheaf in its claws. It is taken from the early device of the town. This royal icon is associated with the ancient Earldom of Chester. The wheat sheaf, or in heraldic terms, garbs, was borne in the arms of Renal de Blondeville in the thirteenth century. One or two wheat sheaves occur in the heraldry of many authorities in Cheshire, and are famous in heraldic circles. Back in the mists of antiquity an argument broke out in the Courts of Arms about who had the right to carry the arms of plain blue crossed by a gold diagonal band (azure, a bend or for those of you in the know), Grosvenor or the Scrope family.
Grosvenor lost out, and, a Cheshire man, he adopted the blue shield with a gold wheat sheaf. Arms consisting of the lions of England dimidiated with the garbs of the earldom were granted to the City of Chester in 1580. When Cheshire County Council obtained armorial bearings in 1938 the arms of the earldom were taken as the basis, and the wheat sheaf thus became the general emblem of the county.